[pct-l] Fatalities on the PCT?

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 22 08:15:09 CDT 2012

Hi Steady Sr,

You have made a very good point. Being on a schedule can be risky. It you are determined to get somewhere to meet a resupply person or for any other reason (like being determined to make those extra miles), you put yourself under pressure and might try things that you should not. That can be life-threatening and end in tragedy - as was the incident that you describe. It is wise to stop and think if you come upon a situation that you perceive as being risky. Take the time to consider the options and the possible consequences of each. Since I was riding a horse on the PCT, I often had to do just that. Stop, and think it over. Often, I would tie my horse and hike ahead to check it out. Find a safe way past or around an obstacle.  Turn back and detour if necessary. Ifa downed tree blocked the trail, I sometimes had to cut it. I cut about 50 of these during my journey to Canada. I rode alone, resupplied myself by driving my rig ahead and
 caching, hitching back to my horse, and I mostly lived on the trail.When I rode to where I had parked the well stocked rig, I could also resupply from there and take a 0 day while I packed my caches for the trail ahead. I would then leave my horse in safe care (pre-arranged) and move the rig north, caching as I went.  I took my 0 days on the trail and brought along a solar shower. I could be independent and self-reliant, didn't need support resupply people. I was never on a schedule. Whenever possible, I camped well off the trail - out of sight of it. When leaving, I tried to leave no trace.

MendoRider-Hiker