[pct-l] Fatalities on the PCT?

rbelshee@hotmail.com rbelshee at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 16 16:58:31 CDT 2012

If strictly counting statistics for thru hikers, the Sandy River incident does not count.

If instead you are looking for learning lessons it does count.  The incident was during the middle of the herd in that area (it was the day after I went through) and it was an experienced hiker (she was hiking the full loop around Mt Hood).  She had the schedule pressure of wanting to finish so she could go to work the next day even though she arrived late in the afternoon - so that is the lesson: don't let schedule concerns drive you through dangerous streams in the afternoon when you should wait until morning or find a safer place.

Steady Sr