[pct-l] Cupcake does a public meltdown

Webmail dcooper dcooper at bigsky.net
Fri Apr 20 07:50:24 CDT 2012

As a Delta Diamond flier and a half-time Portlander, I have to chuckle at
stripping down in the TSA line in protest but please, only in front of
adults...otherwise wear a speedo or something.This kind of protest behavior
in adult company is tolerable but not in front of kids. An old guy
stripping naked in front of kids...that's pretty bad taste. So is wearing a
t-shirt with PCT FAG printed on it. That's strange behavior...Was he
cruising for sex? Was he trying to declare to the backcountry hiking
community that he is gay? Or he is just trying to be funny...in front of
the Boy Scouts (who already suffer enough from the intrusion of sexual
orientation puns and jokes)? Either way, it's just bad taste, poor
judgement, an attempt to draw attention to an issue that is likely already
obvious. But really it seems his point is to draw attention away from the
beauty of the trail and other's experiences in the backcountry and get it
on him and it just doesn't belong there. For a lot of us, we are there to
get away from that type behavior that seeks to draw attention to the
self...I guess I would call that self absorbing..I would like to think we
as a hiking community are about tolerance, or at least thats what I know it
takes to survive in the backcountry of North America. Non-tolerant behavior
is hard to tolerate and it sure as hell ain't tolerated there.
And Gutherie is right-on...what are we doing talking about it here for
anyway? In my opinion it was poor taste to wear that t-shirt, bad judgement
to strip naked in front of kids, and Postholer you might have found a
different way or a different place to get your point across.
I'm packing up my tolerant ass and heading for the trail...
Postholer, I may not agree with what you say or where you say it...but I
WOULD die an ugly death defending your right to do it!
For real.