[pct-l] Southbound from Canada into Washington

Devon Taig devon.taig at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 23:44:50 CDT 2012

*Greetings PCT listers...I I thought you might enjoy reading my letter to
Customs and Border Patrol (as well as their response) regarding their
policy of not allowing hikers to trek south-bound from Manning Provincial
Park in Canada into the United States. If after reading this letter you
would like to complain as well, here's a link
<https://help.cbp.gov/app/forms/complaint/session/L3NpZC96a1VaQzRXaw%3D%3D>
do just that. I'm more than just a little frustrated by
the bureaucratic rules that get put in place by the non-critical thinkers
at Customs / Border Security.  I dunno, maybe I'm just "pissin' in the
wind" here (oooh...that's a good trail name, huh?!), but anyway it's
something I wanted to at least be able to say that "I tried" to do
something about.

River
*
 ============  LETTER ===============

Hello - I am writing to ask you to reconsider the policy of not allowing
United States citizens to enter the country via the Pacific Crest National
Scenic Trail (PCNST). As you may be aware, the PCNST is a 2,650 mile hiking
trail stretching from the Mexican border to Manning Provincial Park in
British Columbia approximately seven trail miles beyond the international
border. If I understand the current policy correctly, hikers who wish to
begin a south-bound hike trip on the PCT from Canada, must:

(1) First hike the 7 miles to the border from Manning Provincial Park in
Canada
(2) Backtrack to their vehicle at Manning Provincial Park
(3) Drive to a legal border crossing station and clear customs and border
protection
(4) Drive to Harts Pass in Washington
(5) Hike some 30 miles to get back to the border!

By the time the legal hiker is standing at the international border, they
have hiked an additional 37 miles in order to comply with the border
crossing regulations. Combined with the driving and the likely stranding of
a vehicle at Hart's Pass, this is easily a three or four day ordeal. In
effect, one of the most beautiful sections of one of the most fantastic
trails in the United States has become a logistical nightmare - not just
for long distance hikers, but also for backpackers looking for a one week
adventure.

I am all for border security, however, I find it very doubtful that having
this regulation in place does anything other than to thwart peaceful,
nature-seeking hikers. It is highly unlikely that someone wishing to
smuggle something into the United States would choose the PCNST as their
route.
I am wondering, would it be possible for some sort of border inspection to
take place for PCT hikers when they first enter into into Canada? Such
hikers would declare their intention to hike into the United States on the
Pacific Crest Trail. Perhaps such hikers could request a special PCT
border-crossing permit beforehand (perhaps involving a nominal fee) that
could then be presented to the border guard at the time of the inspection.

Having to overcome this hurdle is a genuine problem faced by scores of
hikers every year. We are law-abiding citizens and I believe I speak for
the vast majority of hikers (and certainly myself) when I say that I will
comply with the regulations (whatever they are), but I do humbly ask you to
reconsider you position on this rule.

My information related to the current regulations can be found here:
http://www.pcta.org/planning/before_trip/notice-cbp-canada.asp

Sincerly,

Devon Taig ============  RESPONSE ===============

Good morning,

Thank you for your recent correspondence concerning the clearance of hikers
entering the United States via the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT).

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has reviewed this request and
determined that CBP is unable to provide alternate processing procedures
for hikers entering the United States southbound from British Columbia,
Canada on the PCT. As established by law, hikers wishing to utilize the PCT
to enter the United States are required to be inspected and admitted in
person at a designated U.S. port of entry. Numerous factors, including
insufficient infrastructure and staffing on the PCT, as well as its remote
location, prohibit CBP from approving this request.

Thank you for your interest in U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

Andrea
Complaints Officer