[pct-l] Deep Creek Detour

aslive at charter.net aslive at charter.net
Tue Apr 10 11:09:10 CDT 2012

I recently hiked the length of Deep Creek Canyon from Splinters Cabin to
the HWY 178.  I found no need to take the detour.  All the bridges are
up and in good repair.  There are some small trees, perhaps a half a
dozen (trunks less than a foot in diameter) down across the trail.  They
can most all be stepped over.  There are two with a path going up and
over them.  There are a few spots where the trail has slipped away and
you will need to watch your footing, but these are small and should be
no problem.  There are some small rock slides of only a few steps,
nothing really.

Of course it is up to each hiker, but I would take the Deep Creek trail
and enjoy the hot springs.  The detour is an OHV road with little shade
and water and no hot springs.

Shepherd