[pct-l] Outdoor Industry in retrospect

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Mon Apr 9 13:58:47 CDT 2012

History is always interesting, especially the older I get.

I became involved with The North Face in 1972 when I started looking for
sponsors for my PCT thru hike in 1974. Hap Klop and Jack Gilbert were
running it. When I met them in Berkeley, Jack became my sponsor contact and
gave us sleeping bags, clothing, and tents for our adventure (which it still
was back then). Jack, again, sponsored my CDT thru in 1980.

However, per the article, I guess it was in '88 that Jack and Hap had
differing views on where the company was going, Hap wanting to manufacture
in bulk overseas and Jack wanting to keep the company's product line smaller
and high in quality, more to its original intentions of marketing to the
quality and longevity-conscious climbers and hikers of the '70s. Thus, the
split and Jack went on to create Mountain Hardwear a few blocks away.

Jack remained our sponsor over the years of MH's growth. We still have their
original black and white newspaper-sized catalogs from their early years in
the '90s! They focused on quality vs. quantity of well-made clothing and
equipment, some of which Mountain Education still uses today, 22 years
later. This plan, to make quality gear for mountain climbers and hikers was
the intent of many now-famous designers and builders like Kelty,
Mountainsmith, Gregory, Great Pacific Iron Works, Sierra Designs, and many
more from the '70s. Few are still in the hands of their original owners,
having been bought up by bigger corporations like Columbia.

When Columbia bought up Mountain Hardwear (at a time when MH was going
strong), most of the staff jumped ship. The new owners did not have the same
vision. When we began seeing their new, main-stream designs, we, too,
decided to discontinue our nearly 40-year relationship with Jack Gilbert's
creations and seek sponsors of similar gear and clothing that held the same
intent of outstanding designs, quality, and longevity. They are out there,
but few and far between.

Rather than make products designed by hikers for hikers, stressing practical
design and the above three, most outdoor gear and clothing manufacturers
today simply copy each other and market to the masses. Appearance and
Fashion are becoming the mainstream rather than function and durability.

Now, this is not true of our new, garage-industry designers and
manufacturers we see at places like the Kickoff. They were born out of this
demand for practical function lost by the big boys. If you are a mainstream,
average outdoor enthusiast, you will probably look in the mass-marketed
places for gear and clothing made in its bulk way, probably overseas. You
don't yet know what to look for in terms of quality, so you will buy what
out there, go use it, and probably be fine for that once or twice a year
outing. But for thru hikers who sleep 165 days in a sleeping bag, pound down
2,500 miles of trail, or wear the same shirt for 5 or 6 months on a single
trip, most mainstream gear and clothing simply won't survive that kind of
use (abuse?). It used to though...

I'm sure there are many more of the "old guard" out there who can chime in
on this one!

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education