[pct-l] Snakes

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 7 20:51:49 CDT 2012

Hello Steel Eye,

I only got to see one rattlesnake on the trail during my entire ride of the PCT. it was about the same size as the one that you photographed - and in the same part of the PCT. I spotted it from about 75 feet away. By the time I dismounted so I could get a picture it was gone. Snakes are very sensitive to vibrations. That is how they "hear".
Primo's weight, plus the weight of the saddle bags,cantle bag, and pommel bags that he was carrying, plus my weight would be around 1200 pounds. And he was shod with METAL shoes. Snakes could hear us coming long before we came within at least 100 feet.

So, Dan Cooper, if your climbing partner does not want to see snakes, just hike behind an equestrian riding a horse that has metal shoes.

The only other rattler that I saw was well off the trail and well away from were I was camped. It was also in Southern California and on Section B.  I had hiked about 200' from camp looking for a good place to dig a cat hole. It was early in the morning and still quite cold, And there it was - a beautiful rattlesnake all coiled up and in a very torpid state. It didn't even move. I felt very fortunate to have seen it.

MendoRider-Hiker