[pct-l] Snakes

Guthrie Nutter guthrie.nutter at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 19:21:50 CDT 2012

In the first 700 miles, I saw three rattlers, and many non-venomous snakes
- I lost count.  I was surprised at how 'lazy' the rattlers were.  If the
three rattlers that I encountered were of the consensus, they really do
give you plenty of latitude before being combative (stepping on them,
moving them physically, etc).  All it takes is a sharp set of eyes and
reflexes.  I am deaf - so there was naturally some apprehension when hiking
through thick brush - not knowing what lay inches to my sides.  I ended up
being surprised at how I didn't freak out at seeing the rattlers - it was
more of wonderment, and let them pass through.

The non venomous snakes (grass, kings, etc) were very quick and darted
about.  One king snake that I ran into was the most aggressive one, rearing
it's head at me, which freaked me out a bit - but it was just posturing -
like bears do when they grunt and spit to size you up and make their
presence known.

Rubber boas were weird; I mistook them for plastic fishing tackle (no I
didn't pick it up!) - they move slow, like worms.

Overall, for someone who can't hear, and already has a mild phobia of
snakes (which was tempered by hours of exhaustion) I would probably put
money down and say your friend may be okay.  Try visualization exercises of
neutral or positive consequences rather than Anaconda-style outcomes.  DO
NOT LOOK AT YOUTUBE CLIPS of Everglades pythons.  You will NOT run into
serpents like that - unless cheap thrills are your thing.

Peace,

Hand Poet

www.guthrienutter.com

--