[pct-l] What is a Thru-Hike Defined as Nowadays?

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Sep 2 18:21:41 CDT 2011

I consider it a thru-hike if you hike the whole thing end-to-end all
in one season, or if you hike pretty much the whole trail all in one
season even if it wasn't in order and even if a couple of sections
were closed. You get the trail you get and if part of it is closed,
there's not a lot you can do about it. I consider you a thru-hiker if
you are making the attempt, so long as you are on the trail. If
you're home, you aren't a thru-hiker unless you get yourself back on
the trail.

I also think it's not really a thru-hike unless it's complete end-to-
end, but I'm not that much of a stickler for that much detail. I give
you extra kudos for a perfect, contiguous, continuous, contagious
thru-hike, but I won't diss anybody who wasn't quite so perfect.

I've been thinking about thru-hiking the Gene Marshall Piedra Blanca
National Recreation Trail. So far I've only section-hiked it. It's 17
miles long. I think I could call myself a thru-hiker and say I'm thru-
hiking, but all that glory would last me only a couple days.