[pct-l] ice axe details

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Sat Oct 22 19:26:17 CDT 2011

Hi, Shelly!

Since you know we teach the use of ice axes for self-arrest, self-belay, and
as an uphill anchor while traversing steep slopes, I won't go into the
reasons for carrying and knowing when to have an axe in-hand when
snow-hiking, but what I want to say right off the top is to commend you for
seeking this skill level of safety protection, whether as a thru hiker on a
border-to-border trail or as an early-season backpacker, say along the John
Muir Trail!

To chime in with Yoshi, there is a time and place for an ice axe in the
trained hands of the snow-hiker. If you don't know when to switch it off
your pack with one of your poles, then it will just sit there like an
expensive and heavy pack ornament while you fall down the hill. (This is
where the training comes in).

An ice axe is a tool. As with all tools, you need to know when to use them
and that the conditions in which they will be deployed will dictate the
required length and strength of the axe.

If you want an axe to give you balance and function as a reliable uphill
anchor for each step on steep, snowy side hills, then it needs to be long
enough to reach from your down-extended hand to where its shaft length has
penetrated vertically at least 3/4 or more into the snow on your uphill side
(preferably sink the shaft all the way to the head for the best anchoring).
Short-shafted axes are lighter, but in this context, do not provide much of
an anchor should you fall and need it to prevent you from sliding down the
hill. To figure out how long this needs to be, you need to go out onto the
consolidated spring snow, find a steep climb up a typical PCT pass (anywhere
from Trail Pass and Horseshoe Meadows north to Donner Pass), and cut a
traverse route. You do not want to have to bend over much to get sufficient
penetration to make a good anchor.

If you want your axe to serve only as a self-belay tool to help you climb
right up the fall line of those passes, then pretty much any length will do
since the whole shaft will be plunged into the snow right up to the head in
front and above you making for a great anchor for the pull up and a
third-leg balance point for all other moves.

If you want your axe to be there when you slip and fall so it can serve as a
self-arrest tool, then length and strength are very important. You don't
want too short of an axe that you can't control well when arresting (length
is good) as it may come right out of your hands, though they are lighter.
Typically, for this purpose you want a length that matches the distance
measured from your anterior mid-clavicular line on one side of your body
diagonally across your chest and down to your anterior iliac crest on the
other. This length works well for all of our students when we teach them how
to self-arrest, especially when on crusty, consolidated spring snow typical
of what a PCT thru hiker will find in the Sierra in May, June, or July.

If you expect to use your axe to chop footholds across steep, icy fields
(which can be encountered anywhere) or in chutes like on Forester Pass
(footholds give you a place to put each step that will be predictably level,
canted into the side slope, and free enough of ice so that your foot does
not slip when you place it and put your weight on it), then you will need a
long shafted axe that will allow you to chop "buckets" without bending over,
becoming top-heavy, and risking the loss of your balance and falling. The
construction of the axe is important, too, as it needs to be heavy enough to
develop sufficient "swing force" to chip ice and not vibrate in your hand,
which can get really tiring over the hour-and-a-half it usually takes me to
chop my way across Forester's chute each May (see our Snow Advanced Course).

Now, you have to go out and decide for yourselves!

(Mountain Education runs mountain safety training courses from January to
September teaching the skills necessary to negotiate all Sierra terrain
(snow, dirt, and cross-country), creeks crossings, and deal with weather and
medical concerns. See our new course listings, now, at
http://www.mountaineducation.org/mountain-education-pages/courses/)

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education