[pct-l] ice ax

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Sat Oct 22 13:24:21 CDT 2011

Hey, Skyeward,

Based on my vast experience of 1/2 of a PCT hike and 3 days at Ned's University of Snow, here's my suggestions.  First, I've been told the proper length is determined by holding the pointy end between your thumb and forefinger and swinging the axe.  It should just graze the ground.  Second, I would make sure my ice axe was plenty sturdy - even it weighs a few ounces more.  When you're self-arresting is no time to find out your ice axe is a li ttle too flimsy.

Good luck,

Mango