[pct-l] I failed my thru hike this year!!!!!!

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Tue Oct 18 21:02:29 CDT 2011

You make my point well.  Lack of experience with trips of a month or
longer are often driven by anxiety and other emotions rather than calm
understanding and appraisal of the "current condition of the body."  I
think a 22 year old can agonize through beginning with 20 mile days if
they're not obese, but a 50 year old will just crash when a body part
strains and or breaks.

I always try and spend a day driving to points near or on the trail
where I can hang food so that my first week or two doesn't involve more
than three or four days worth.  Again, I do section hikes, not
thru-hikes, and this strategy applies only in the first couple three or
four weeks...

Jeff...