[pct-l] shoe size

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Oct 14 18:48:55 CDT 2011

Despite having day hiked quite a bit before hiking the PCT, it was
hiking the PCT that made my feet bigger. Either they are bigger or
else I just cannot tolerate shoes that are too small anymore. For
sure there are big spaces between all my toes now. I pretty much
can't tolerate most shoes at all anymore. I've taken to making
homemade huarache sandals and wearing those for most things.

And on the subject of foot pain, I, too, preferred cushiony insoles
to supportive ones during my hike. I'd put two layers of cushioning
in for road walks and still could barely stand the pain. It's now 2
years since my last big hike and my feet still hurt every day. I
don't think any of us gets to anorexia levels of weight loss, so I'm
not sure weight loss is the cause of foot pain. I think it is
repetitive stress and over-use mostly.