[pct-l] Backpack items

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 17:58:29 CDT 2011

I started with a Cats Meow for section hiking 10 years ago.  I used it that
first year and haven't used it since. Here's the thing: after the weight of
the gear is considered, the next most salient fact is the volume of the
gear.  This is a huge bag in terms of size which, in turn, requires a larger
pack than would otherwise be necessary. Down really is the way to go.  On
the other hand, the really light weight down bags (Western Mountaineering,
for example) achieve part of their weight savings by having a comparitively,
and potentially claustrophobic, small interior sleeping area. A sleeping bag
is more efficient if there is less interior room which you have to warm with
your body heat.

But: you are going to lose weight if you are contemplating a thru-hike.  The
more extra weight you have the more you will lose; generally fairly
quickly.  Thus, you could start out with a larger bag and then transition to
a second lighter bag; however, this isn't exactly cost effective.

The answer may be with a quilt; or, more to the point, a bag you can use as
a quilt which has positives for venting and moving around more comfortably
at night. Don't get me wrong, I have a WM Summerlite which is around 20 oz.,
but this last summer I used my Marmot Helium the whole time I was on the
trail. This is 34 oz. or so., but yours would be more because of a tall size
that you'll need. These are popular on the trail, and I routinely used it as
a quilt except when it dropped below freezing.  This allows you to minimize
any disadvantages of a large body size that will be morphing into a smaller
one.  I bought one of my daughters a Wren from Feathered Friends last spring
as a present; when I opened the box I was instantly jealous.  These are
pricey, but they make them to order and the quality is clearly there.  Not
all bags are created equal. Look for down that is rated at least at 800. I
also agree with the Montbell recommendation. These are quality products that
are well designed.  You could do a lot worse than getting one of their ultra
light jackets.

You'll want a decent pad; the insulation for the part of your body
contacting the surface comes from the pad almost excusively as the down or
syntehetic insulation is compressed by your body weight to the point it
loses it's effectiveness.  Look for an R value of 2.2 or thereabouts.

Sorry. More information than you asked for, I know, but once I get started
it's sometimes hard to stop.

You'll get as many opinions on gear as there are posters on the list; it
always generates a lot of discussion.  Explore all of the independent gear
purveyers before taking the plunge is my advice.  This includes Six Moon
Designs, Mountain Laurel Designs, Gossamer Gear, Tarptent to name only a
few.

Get your pack last.  You want to get one for the gear that you have; not buy
gear to fit the pack.

Gourmet