[pct-l] Where do you put it?

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 12 17:57:12 CDT 2011

I haven't had any skunk visits on the PCT.  I used to live in Mendocino.  One year we had skunks settle in under our house.  I tried shooting mothballs to several places under the house.  The skunks stayed.  They, like the rodents, were not deterred by the smell - or, they put up with it to stay in their nest.  In my experience it just works on bears. Some people have used mothballs successfully to keep bears away from their garbage cans. Up in Old Station I talked to one of Fireflys neighbors who uses them that way.  In some parts of the Yukon mothballs in cotton tobacco sacks are called "bear charms". They are used there to discourage bears.