[pct-l] After Action Report – Kickback Campout

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Wed Oct 12 16:55:38 CDT 2011

Yes Switchback, your intrepid PCT hero, trail raconteur, and privateer, has cheated death once again.  This time high up in the foreboding High Sierra Mountains at 10,000 foot Horseshoe Meadows near Lone Pine CA.  It was the first annual full moon Kickback Campout.  This was the last opportunity for many to get deep and high into the Sierras before winter sets in along with cabin fever.  Only the most extreme hard-core backpackers would do this – make a last desperate attempt to be in the wilds with Mother Nature.  I never did hook up with some others who said they might attend.
I arrived at the Lone Pine Ranger Station at 1230 PM on Tuesday.   Afterwards, I went up to 8,300 feet Whitney Portal for lunch.  I talked to wife of the owner (Doug), Earlene, for an hour as I wolfed down a veggie burger with fries.  The weather was great.  I was in shorts, sandals and a t-shirt.  It is super fun to be there and have some great conversation on a beautiful fall day.   It could not be more perfect as chipmunks run in and out of the store looking for crumbs.
I decide to go over to Tuttle Creek Campground and check things out.  Then I go up to 10,000 foot Horseshoe Meadows and arrive about 3 PM.  There is a little snow on the ground, but not too much.  The weather up there is wonderful.  I am comfortable in my shorts and sandals.  I set up camp with my REI lounger and Dreamland pad.  What super comfort this is.  I unroll my North Face sleeping bag and know immediately that there will no issues with cold tonight.  Next I set up my small table to hold my reading material, drinks, butter popcorn, etc.  Nice.  Very nice.  Life is sweet.
I read for a while then take a small meritorious combat nap.  I wake up and walk around for a while and then turn in for the night.  Around 11 PM I wake up.  The moon is full and beautiful.  What a scene.  Then I think that I need some action.  I look around for some bears to chase, but do not see any.  I was hoping the butter popcorn would draw some.  The few campers in the area are asleep.  So, I decide to pack up and head up to Bishop to see what is going on up there.  I get there about 0030 AM and everything is pretty much closed.  I check into the Ramada Inn.  I get a king size bed.  I lay there with the remote relaxing watching TV and drift off to sleep.
In the morning I go to Jack’s for a delicious breakfast at 6 AM.  Next I head for Schat’s Bakkery for a bread order for the Long Suffering Mrs. Switchback.  They are just putting newly baked warm bread on the racks to buy.  I load up with lots of varieties.
Now that I have accomplished all expedition requirements, it is time to head back to Las Vegas with my loot.  I arrive back at Las Vegas on Wednesday at noon.  I look forward to the 2012 full moon Kickback Campout and Goof-Off.
Since I have so much fun on these trips, I am thinking of starting a company after I retire next year.  It will be Switchback’s Goof-Offs, LLC.  I might add guided tours to the best goof-off places.  You know the places where Female Terminator Leadership Types cannot find us.  These locations will be Terminator free zones.
Faithfully recorded and accurately scribed --- your obedient servant and trail knave.

Switchback the Trail Pirate
49% Hiker + 51% Trash = 100% Happy