[pct-l] camera for thru-hiking

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Oct 10 20:06:10 CDT 2011

I went through several cameras. My first one was an old Minolta
DimageX point and shoot. For some strange reason it would not take
any pictures above 9000ft elevation. So in the High Sierras I had to
carry a disposable until I could get a better camera. All the
pictures from the disposable were garbage. I bought a nice tiny Nikon
Coolpix point and shoot. Lightweight was more important to me than
features since I'm not a pro. Took great pictures. I loved that
camera. I rolled over on it in my sleeping bag in the Glacier Peak
wilderness and didn't get any pictures of the big glaciers or of the
amazing scenery which in my mind, blew the High Sierras away by a
mile. So I finished the trail with another disposable. The photos it
took were again, garbage. Disposables also do not allow you to take a
picture of yourself, so my picture of myself at the border isn't very
good.

Point is, either get a really good camera that won't break, or get
several cameras so you always have a backup, and make sure you never
sleep with your camera. If your camera fails, it's not very likely it
will fail on Aqueduct Day.

Diane