[pct-l] Long distance hikers and $

Diarmaid Harmon irishharmon at comcast.net
Thu Oct 6 17:28:13 CDT 2011

My situation was a series of circumstances and history all coming together to allow me to indulge in my dream of the thru-hike. I was working and raising a family and managing to get several 3 to 5 day trips in a year with many day and overnight hikes thrown in. Then 9/11 hit. As I worked in the aerospace industry I knew the writing was on the wall. Layoffs were coming. My wife and I talked and planned for the layoff we knew it would be deep and would last longer then people were projecting. When the inevitable happened we were ready. We had paid off all our debt, not the house, and knew we would be ok with just one income. So I planned for and commenced my hike north from the Mexican border in 2002. I made it through that year with the support of my wife, family and friends. I have continued to hike and backpack and get out as often as I can. I am just as happy to have completed a 10 mile day hike as I am when I do a 200 to 300 mile backpack trip.

Hiking Irish.