[pct-l] Long distance hikers and $

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 6 12:29:33 CDT 2011

My perspective is somewhat similar to Sue's.  This is just my view on
things; not one that I ask other people to share.

For me, long-distance hiking is a life-long passion but it's not the only or
even the biggest passion in my life.  As important as long-distance hiking
is, my family is even more important to me.  When I chose to get married and
have children, I knew that choosing *for* those things necessarily meant I
was choosing *against* many other things.  It's never possible to have it
all.  So right now, I enjoy section hiking and trail maintenance and hanging
out in this email list but I'm not free to wander the trail for six months
at a time.  That's ok.  At some point in the future my children will be
grown and my house will be paid off and my menu of choices will grow,
hopefully to include a full thru-hike.  But right now I'm living out the
choices I made and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Other people decide to choose *for* an unfettered live of adventure and
*against* many other things.  That's fine too.  The people who get into
trouble are those who try to do everything at the same time and end up doing
none of it well.  Make your choices, stick with them, and live without
regrets.

Eric