[pct-l] Three Questions/Going Stoveless

Hayden Wilson hydnwilson at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 4 14:16:51 CDT 2011

This stoveless question comes up periodically on all of the hiking lists.  I haven't carried a stove in over ten thousand miles.  Though most people assume that it is a weight issue, that is not the case for me.  One of the things that I love so much about long distance hiking is the way that it streamlines your life, ie., the simplicity of it all.  Dropping the stove is just one less thing to deal with.  No "Does the store sell Liptons, Ramen, or mashed potatoes?", no pot, no fuel bottle/cannister, and no fuel supply problems (Availability and shipping of fuel is also a regular list topic).

Another way that things are simpler is the time it takes to eat dinner and get into my sleeping bag, especially if it is cold or buggy.  Stoveless cuts out a lot of "stand around shivering" heating up and cooling down time.  When I was cooking the "warm me up" value of hot food was far outweighed by how cold I got shuffling around in my day clothes waiting for the noodles to be ready.  I know that many people cook in their tents or while in their bags, but I never liked to do that.  I just prefer to eat, get into my sleeping clothes, and crawl into my bag.

In the morning, it works almost the same way except that I do eat in bed.  Breakfast is usually one of those huge muffins that they sell in most quick stop markets or in the deli section of grocery stores.  Eat, take my vitamins, dress, pack, and get moving.

As to the overall weight, I don't really know if it is a savings or a penalty.  However, I have looked at individual foods.  Sometimes the results can be suprising.  A package of Ramen is about 127 calories per ounce at 11% fat.  Santitas Tortilla chips (a common food for me) is 140 calories per ounce at 9% fat.  Planters Salted Peanuts are 166 calories per ounce and 76% fat.  Thomas' Cinnamon Raisin Swirl Bagels are 81 calories per ounce and 3% fat.  Though the bagels are the heaviest for the amount of calories, I carry some variety any time that I can find them.  I have also found that bagels, tortilla chips, and potato chips taste the same even after you sit on them and eat the chips with a spoon.

I seldom eat food bars, though I usually carry one or two.  Maybe I have just eaten too many of the things, but I now view bars as a kind of emergency ration.  If I have misjudged my food needs, there is always that hated food bar in the bottom of the bag.

My favorite stoveless foods are things like pizza (best trail food ever), fried chicken (take out the bones so you won't have to deal with them on the trail), grinders or subs, hamburgers, etc.   I have also carried out bagged salads, avocados, and bell peppers.  Balogna, cheese, pepperoni, summer sausages and luncheon meats (the more processed the better) are all good trail foods.  I know, not really light weight, but they taste good to me.

This all works for me because I like this kind of food and do not mind eating a bagel sandwich every night.  I know many others who are more experienced than I am (probably smarter and better looking too) who are very attached to their stoves and hot meals.  I believe that the whole stove or no stove thing boils down to PERSONAL PREFERENCE, HYOH, YMMV.  If you are going to try it on a long hike, you might put you pot and stove in your bounce and see how it goes.

Hayden Wilson "Birdnut"