[pct-l] Have South Africans done the PCT before?

Sir Mixalot atetuna at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 13:15:54 CDT 2011

Here's how I look at it.

The worst that will probably happen if you keep your shoes on is that your
feet get cold and you get grit in your shoes.

The worst that will probably happen if you go barefoot, especially when the
water is flowing fast and deep, is that you'll hurt your feet because you
slipped off a rock, stepped into a hole that was deeper than it looked, had
a rock roll over it, or cut it on a sharp rock or glass.  Of course hurting
your feet could cause a reaction that would lead to much worse things.

Back to crossing with shoes on...  Your feet won't stay cold for long,
although it does suck to cross a creek just before walking into camp.  Grit
probably won't bother you after a while.