[pct-l] 78% hike Cascade Locks to White Pass - skip Trout Lake

Sean Nordeen miner_49 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 30 23:14:52 CST 2011

In 2009, I did just that and set my 1st resupply from Cascade Locks to be at Whites Pass.  I had not planned on using Stablers Store as at the time it seemed so close to Cascade Locks.  But at a dirt road, I ran into the son of the owner of the store who offered me a ride that was hard to resist so I ended up visiting the place.  After spending 2 hours snacking in front of the store, I swore that the next time I hiked the trail I would send a package there and save myself from carrying 6 days of food over the mountain from Cascade locks that you immediately loose all the elevation that you just climbed over the previous day.  Too bad its now closed.  And road walks suck so I didn't understand anyone who chose to hike the road alternative from Cascade Locks instead of the trail.  Why would anyone prefer to hike miles of asphalt over a real trail?  It isn't the Pacific Crest Road you know.  :p

When I was planning Washington resupplies in Cascade Locks, Trout Lake seemed like it would be a hard hitch if you weren't lucky so I skipped over it as a resupply figuring I'd loose too much time as I hiked over the Bridge of the Gods on Sept.9 and October would be calling by the trails' end.  Though the cooler by the road down to Trouts Lake had some of the most healthy trail magic of the trail thanks to the Zen meditation place.  And in fact, it was my trail friends use of Trout Lake as a resupply that allowed me to catch up to them by White's Pass despite their 21hour head start from Cascade Locks.

-Miner