[pct-l] some stats on a few trail non-profits

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 13:55:16 CST 2011

A beautifully written and cogent commentary, Shroomer.

An easement is really the minimal level of protection for the trail.  It
only guarantees access and does not protect the surrounding landscape, as
long as proposed development or other use of the land by it's owner doesn't
infringe on use of the easement.  Even there, however, if some activity is
necessary for the property owner's use and enjoyment of the land and it
temporarily impedes, but does not obstruct, passage, it is generally
allowable.

You could be hiking through a subdivision.  Think of the ski resorts,
logging operations, etc. that the trail currently traverses.  When diving
through the mountains, I find it dispiriting to be on a highway where there
are narrow strips of trees flanking either side of the roadway from which
there is a constant procession of glimpses of logged over terrain.  That,
my friends, is an easement; albeit an easement of some width and with an
effort, if unsuccessful to the observent to conceal the spoilation of the
wilderness beyond.