[pct-l] PCT Complete Snow Reference

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Nov 16 15:14:08 CST 2011

What Scott has put together, here, is a great reference to know how much
snow is in the Sierra over the winter.

Whether we have another heavy La Nina winter or not, for all those planning
a 2012 PCT departure date, it is important that you realistically prepare to
encounter and learn how to safely hike over snow from Cottonwood Pass to
Donner Pass.

Mountain Education typically runs its Snow Advanced Courses along the PCT
during thru hiker season (May, June, July) from Kennedy Meadows to Kearsarge
Pass, Kearsarge to Bishop Passes, and, this year also from Bishop to Mono
Passes, so we know, first hand what it is like up along the trail, how to
deal with the passes and creeks, and what it takes to get through without a
problem.

You will not have snow all the way because snow level at that time of year,
based on the last two heavy winters, is only at about 9500 feet. Once below
that, between Passes, you will have "dry" trail amounting to mud and flowing
water conditions. As you go lower, say to 8,000 feet, you may even find true
dry trail.

No matter what kind of winter we get, the condition of the snow during May,
June, and July in the Sierra above snowline will be what is called
"consolidated," or hard-surfaced, compacted snow from the freeze-thaw cycles
of spring. Yes, the snowpack does soften under the hot, spring sun, so it
will not hold you up very well as the day progresses and you will fall
through, doing what we like to call "post-holing," but if you get early
starts each day, you will not need snowshoes, just hiker's crampons like the
Kahtoola KTS to get safely across surface ice and morning-frozen crust
without slipping and falling.

It is good to know how much snow is up there, but the main thing is to
expect to have to deal with it as a thru hiker. It doesn't matter whether
you're walking on 2 feet or 20, the techniques for safe passage are the
same. If this winter is going to be anything like the last two and you
expect to be travelling up the PCT during the months of May, June, and July
between Cottonwood and Donner, learn how to snow-hike, navigate, and
self-arrest for your own safety and peace of mind. It doesn't matter where
you get the training/experience, but it is best if you learn on snow similar
to where you're going (the PCT, in this case). We have a maritime snow pack
which is a lot wetter and consolidates a lot heavier than snow on the
Continental Divide, for example.

For your planning and preparation purposes, if you really want to know what
the trail will look like in June when you go through as a pct thru hiker and
what it really takes (as far as skills for navigation, creek crossings,
traversing, and simply not falling) to snow-hike at 11,500, go up there the
year before your hike, meet the current batch of thrus, and see for yourself
how you'll need to prepare!

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education