[pct-l] Shaky Legs

Alan Artman alanartman at msn.com
Tue Nov 15 14:02:44 CST 2011

Rod,
On all of my section hikes--usually 300 or so miles--over the past 25 years, I too suffered from "shaky legs" every night.  I'd hit the sack, fall asleep immediately, then a half-hour later wake up with uncomfortable, sometimes shaky, legs, which would last anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours.  I'd get up an do calf stretches, and that would help--sometimes.  I figured it was just my body's way of expressing its disbelief at what I was each day subjecting it to, and hence was part of the price of admission.  Over the years I spoke to other hikers at the ALDHA West meetings, some had the same problems, others did not.  It didn't seem to correlate to age, pack weight, general level of conditioning, length of trips, or good looks.  Some folks, like me, struggled with it all the time on their hikes, some occasionally, others not at all.

Prior to a hike of northern WA in 2007, at an appointment with a naturopathic physician dealing with another issue, I happened to mention this problem, and he recommended magnesium citrate supplements--150 mg capsule, usually with dinner.   On that hike, and all subsequent trips, including two over 1000 miles, no more shaky legs.  Unless I forgot to take it.

Just based on my own experience, my conclusion is that, at least in my case, it's an electrolyte imbalance due to prolonged exertion.  But I'm not sure.  You'd think something like Gatorade or Gu or the like would also work, but not for me.

I welcome comments and observations from the List.

Patchwork