[pct-l] Carrying weapons

Charles Doersch charles.doersch at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 19:04:24 CST 2011

Of course, women veterans of the PCT are going to have the most
authoritative voice on this and will share based on actual experience,
rather than supposition or opinions. I'd like to simply offer perspective
from my travels among mighty women travelers.

It does seem to me that in the US we have fostered a quite exaggerated view
of women's vulnerability to harm and to risk while traveling.

Granted, it seems to me self-evident (and the research backs it up) that in
numerous ways, US women are at the forefront worldwide of re-imagining and
re-defining what women do and are (e.g. the US has many women truck
drivers, not something the French do; and women construction workers, not
something even German women do; the Swiss have more women PhDs, but US
women are catching up, etc.). But all across Africa, Asia, and in the South
Pacific, we were always encountering women who travel the world alone --
and those women were not Americans. They were Europeans (Scandinavians,
Dutch, Swiss, French & Germans, often) or Aussies or Kiwis. And they
weren't packing heat.

Inside our borders, we tell our daughters they can conquer the world. But
we tell them not to travel alone outside our borders (or not to travel
without men).

Now in my mid-50s, I have known many many women who have traveled alone in
far more sketchy regions than, well, Oregon (e.g. up the Nile -- down the
Congo -- across the Amazon) and by using their wits and their good judgment
have fared fabulously. I have met the occasional men and women who have
fared less fab here and abroad through bad judgment. And a gun would have
only made it worse. (bad judgment + gun = bad).

All my women adventurers tell me they have had to unlearn the counsels of
fear whispered into their ears by American media and sometimes by their own
families ... they have had to unlearn what would have weakened them. And
if, as Yogi has quoted that " Weight is the fear we carry" -- then guns are
definitely fear that is carried. Fear is a toxin eroding our joy, our
peace, and love. Of this I am convinced.

One of our buddies is in her late 60s and could tell you the most fantastic
stories of all her many many travels in the most remote corners of the
world. She just doesn't do the stupid (hang out at a bar getting drunk
alone in a bad part of town, etc.) And we just saw her off to Chile ...
she's on her way down for another kayak camping trek in Patagonia ...
alone. Oh, she'll probably decide on some handsome Chilean guide whom
she'll hire along the way (white-haired cougar that she is) ...  or not.
We'll see.

:-D

Go in peace.

Cheers,