[pct-l] Carrying weapons

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Wed Nov 9 16:44:12 CST 2011

On 11/4/2011 9:27 PM, Kellie Morrill wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm a single female hiking the PCT in 2012 and have had a few folks
> recommend I carry a weapon (mainly, a gun). I'm opposed to this, but
> want to get the opinion of other hikers.
>
> Would you or do you carry a weapon?

We have this discussion on here about once a year.

While I am not opposed to people carrying a weapon for self protection,
carrying one on the PCT does not make sense. It is a lot of weight for
something you are not likely to need. If you do carry one, you will need
to have it handy at all times to be of any use. This isn't practical
when carrying a backpack. Also, there will be places along the PCT where
carrying a gun will be illegal. And DON'T try to carry a gun into Canada!

If you stay alert and use common sense precautions, you will be fine.
Don't camp close to roads. Try not to hitchhike alone. If a situation
feels wrong, don't go there.

You will be safer on the trail than you would be in the city.