[pct-l] Wolves on the Oregon PCT?

Charles Doersch charles.doersch at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 08:04:18 CST 2011

I was pretty sure grizzlies might be in the North Cascades (seems I read
that in a wildlife conservation mag somewhere)  -- it's no Gulliver's Leap
from Manning Park to the parts of BC that grizzlies have a home in. And
Ursus does like to move!

For those of you who have done the CDT, what's the bear/food regime in
grizz territory? Still cannisters, or is it under the feetsies? Yellowstone
-- where there are so many many many many many many people pressing in on
the grizz's way of life -- would be the main place I'd want to pay special
attention to where the food got stashed (at least, that I can so far
imagine), as the very occasional grizz there can just go off the deep end.
(I'd go off the deep end too, I suppose, if I had 2.87 million brightly
colored and candy-scented humans with snickers bars bulging in their
pockets thronging each mountain valley every summer).

Lots of experience backpacking in grizz territory here without any problems
(many times finding grizz tracks in the morning going right past our tent
at some point during the night -- sometimes it was wolf tracks -- what
seemed a crowd of them, gathered around our tent while we snored away; no
doubt they were smoking cigarettes, cracking wolf jokes, and shaking their
heads at the smells) ... (in the Sahara, it was hyena tracks right by our
heads (arrggh) ... and then later, a leopard -- but it wasn't the critters
we had to watch for: we were being tracked by armed Tuareg bandits with a
vendetta out on one of our Tuareg guides. We gave them the slip for five
weeks on camel back. They caught up to our guide a week after we left Mali.
Bad.]

Charles & the Guys.