[pct-l] Solution to...What do you guys do for money?

Mary Kwart mkwart at gci.net
Mon May 30 14:10:32 CDT 2011

Krikor:

I was a seasonal firefighter with the US Forest Service, Park Service and BLM for 12 years--that allowed me to have winters off to hike--but I could only go to hotter places like Arizona and Texas. I used to save money and take every 4th year totally off to do a long trail in the summer.

After I figured out I may need health insurance when I got old, I took a permanent job with the US Forest Service, after getting a 4 year degree in forestry/fire management. This curtailed my regular long distance backpacking, but I got plenty of exercise on fires and saved my annual leave to do long weekend hikes. I also saved my leave to do two week vacations once a year.

While working for the Forest Service and Park Service I was living right in the good places to hike--so no city commutes. As part of my job, I had to stay in shape to pass the firefighting pack test every year--walking 3 miles in 45 minutes carrying a 45 pound pack--so I was allowed a certain amount of time on the job to workout to stay in shape. That was the advantage of the firefighting job.

I am retired now--wildland firefighter retirement allows for retiring at age 50 with 20 years of service or at any age with 25 years of service. I retired at age 55 and am pursuing my long distance hiking passion now. I only make 53% of pre-retirement income (pension and 401K investment) , but backpacking is not an expensive pursuit, once you get the gear. I also use a credit card that allows me to build up airline miles by paying regular bills, so I can make the choice to fly to long distance trailheads.

Good luck,

Fireweed