[pct-l] What do you guys do for money?

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Wed May 18 21:01:27 CDT 2011

I'm an Engineer and have taken 2 Leaves of absence for 6 months each.  I
can't truly say there were no career consequences but they were minimal.  I
worked with my employer to ensure my leaving would have as small an impact
as possible.  I generally work projects that last from a few weeks to
several years, with most being about 9 months of duration.  I arrange my
work so that I'm finishing a project coincident with starting a hike.  For a
thru that could mean spring or late summer as I am open to which direction I
go.

Lots of employers are not too great about this but I suspect (and hope) that
with gen Y's hitting the workforce - taking time off or working a more
project based work style will develop.   I am sure there are many jobs that
just can't have people leave and come back but they are not nearly as many
as most companies would think.  It's really a cultural thing most of the
time.

I still run into people that don't think, I can take time off to pursue
personel goals and interests and still be committed to my job.

>From my point of view, these are sad folks that have given up on dreaming
and living life to its fullest.

There are jobs that are more project based out there or of shorter duration
(i.e. Nursing does lots of contracting, many types of consulting, etc).

Or you could just become hiker trash and be on ski patrol in the winter,
hike in the summer, and live a life of extremely modest income.   Although
this one is 'probably' impossible if a family is desired.

Day-Late