[pct-l] What do you guys do for money?

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed May 18 19:25:08 CDT 2011

You can do an overnighter every weekend if you live close enough to
trails. There are trails within a few minutes drive in Santa Barbara
so I can do an overnighter any weekend that I choose. In other words,
place matters almost more than job.

Then there are the long weekends you can make out of holidays and
your paid time off.

Then there are career choices. Teachers get a lot of time off. People
who work for themselves sometimes can take time off whenever they
want. Not always.

Then there are the choices anybody can make with what to do with your
money. You can choose to spend it on mortgages and various payments.
Or you can shop at thrift stores, drive an old beater, eat a lot of
lentils and never carry a balance for anything.

I'm just a code monkey which means when I'm gainfully employed I'm
working the 8-5 grind like everybody else. But I quit my job to do my
big hikes. I just got another full-time job again so I'm back to
carving out time from paid time off and doing weekend overnighters.

Diane