[pct-l] What do you guys do for money?

Blanchard, Sym (GE&O) SWB3 at pge.com
Wed May 18 12:24:56 CDT 2011

I have a computer-type job that I can do from anywhere.  I mail my laptop to the next post office, hike 3-4 days to get there, do a few days work, then mail it to the next post office and so on ...

I am able to stretch my 8 weeks of vacation to 10 to 14 weeks of hiking and recovery time because I am able to capture more weekends.  I am only doing sections, so am only doing about 1/3 of the trail each year.

I was inspired by Car Hop who was working full time as he hiked the PCT.  I believe he completed it in one season this last year.  I know he did the AT a previous year.

He had two cars with laptops, beds, and food.  The cars could tow each other.  He would park one car at one trail head and drive the other car to the next trailhead and then hike back to his first car.  He would then log in to do his actuarian pension work with an Air Card with his business project team in New York (he was a mathematician actuarian).  He was about 65 years old.

I met him about 10 times last year always hiking the opposite direction.  He was able to slack pack the whole way.

So if you can manage the logistics, I would suggest a computer-type job you can do from a trailside town.

Symbiosis
Message: 2