[pct-l] Songs in your head

abiegen at cox.net abiegen at cox.net
Wed May 18 09:59:42 CDT 2011

On a bad day:
Withered And Died
Written by Richard Thompson (with minor alteration by me), performed by Elvis Costello, Kate Rusby and Richard Thompson (I prefer the Kate Rusby version)

This cruel country has driven me down
Teased me and lied, teased me and lied
I've only sad stories to tell to this town
My dreams have withered and died

Once I was bending the tops of the trees
Kind words in my ear, kind faces to see

Then I struck up with a trail from the west
Played run and hide, played run and hide
Miles to go and I can't get no rest
My dreams have withered and died

Silver moon sail up and silver moon shine
On the waters so wide, waters so wide
Steal from the bed of some good friend of mine
My dreams are withered and died

If I was a butterfly, I'd live for a day
I could be free, just blowing away

This cruel country has driven me down
Teased me and lied, teased me and lied
I've only sad stories to tell to this town
My dreams have withered and died

On a good day at Eagle Rock:

Bridget Donahue
written by Johnny Patterson, performed by Danu (truncated a little to get to the point)

It was in the county Kerry, a little way from Clare
Where the boys and girls are merry at a patron race or fair
The town is called Killorglin, a purty place to view
But what makes it interesting is my Bridget Donahue

Oh! Bridget Donahue, I really do love you
Although I'm in America, to you I will be true
Then Bridget Donahue, I'll tell you what I'll do
Just take the name of Patterson, and I'll take Donahue

I sent her home a picture, I did, upon my word
Not a picture of myself, but a picture of a bird
It was the Yankee eagle, and says I, "Miss Donahue
This eagle's wings are large enough to shelter me and you"

Oh! Bridget Donahue, I really do love you
Although I'm in America, to you I will be true
Then Bridget Donahue, I'll tell you what I'll do
Just take the name of Patterson, and I'll take Donahue

TrailHacker
--
"When my feet hurt, I can't think straight"
Abraham Lincoln