[pct-l] songs in your head, memorizing, and fun thinking on the PCT

Connie Davis connielavondavis at gmail.com
Wed May 18 07:21:44 CDT 2011

Going up Sierra Passes: "I Am Woman", Helen Reddy
Throughout Oregon: I memorized many song lyrics, mostly John Denver (I am
the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the
sky) and Hollywood musicals, as well as Shakespeare (The world's a stage and
all the men and women...) and the poem Invictus (Out of the night that
covers me, black as a pit from pole to pole)
In southern California I had "Born to Be Wild" stuck in my head for days.
Going up the switchbacks out of Belden (we were southbound), each switchback
was a year of my life and I thought of events for that year.

When hiking with the VIPs we sang at times and had haiku contests, as well
as playing word games (My name is Alice and I'm bringing alligators to the
party.  My name is Bob and I'm bringing bananas..."  Mongous and I would
also create the cast some of our favorite science fiction/fantasy novels,
imagining they were being filmed.

Mongous is an amazing memorizer.  He memorized the Mask of Anarchy by
Shelley. He also memorized the periodic table of elements.

Lookout