[pct-l] Backpack Packing strategies/Oxygen

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Thu May 12 16:17:38 CDT 2011

I am wondering how my own experience might relate to your recent discussion.
Over the years I have done a lot of backpacking and hiking.  Although I more
often ride horses now, I still hike and I also hike when dismounted - on the PCT
I often "tailed" up long hills. Tailing is a strategy often used by riders in
the sport of endurance racing over 50 and 100 mile courses. You simply grab hold
of the horses tail and he pulls you up the hill. It is easier for him to pull
you up than it is to carry your weight up. Being pulled up a hillI is a lot
easier for the rider than walking up.

Relating to oxygen, while hiking or backpacking, when I see an uphill or grade
ahead I consciously accelerate my rate of breathing when I am within about 75'
of the grade. I  take deep breaths to bring extra oxygen into my lungs and
blood.  On the grade I continue this for a while and also "gear down". To me
that means taking shorter strides but at the same rate - therefore I go up the
hill slower. If you continue taking longer strides, even if you are going
slower, it will be more tiring.  I have a good friend up in Mendocino who is a
skin diver for abalone. He is remarkable in that he goes down more than 50 feet
and can hold his breath for up to FIVE minutes. I have often watched him taking
deep breaths for a minute or more before diving - to oxygenate his body.

MendoRider/Ed Anderson