[pct-l] Thru-riding, north to south

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Tue May 10 18:07:51 CDT 2011

Dorian,
Eric Lee's post included some good advice. Indeed, renting a car would be a good
idea - but I think you might consider doing more than just "day hikes". Assuming
that you are capable of hiking, you might want to do multi-day and Section hikes
in some areas difficult to access with horses. For example, Eric is mistaken
about Harts Pass. Trailers are not allowed on the last 10 miles of that very
narrow and steep unpaved road. But you can drive up to Harts Pass with a car.
Then, hike to the Canadian Border and back. That is some of the grandest scenery
on the PCT. It will be a highlight of your PCT experience. I rode it in both
directions and the scenery is just as enjoyable going south - even after seeing
it northbound.

As for your ride experience, the Sections I recommend for you to consider would
start at Seiad Valley in Northern California and end at McKenzie Pass in Oregon.
Get a copy of the Wilderness Press PCT guide book on Oregon and Washington.
Look over Sections A,B,C,D, and E.  The total distance is 331.2 miles and the
Sections are all 76 miles or less, the lowest being 54 miles. That part of the
PCT is likely to be doable for an experienced horseman with either one or two
horses. Be sure to bring a saw as you will have to cut some trees yourself.  Of
course I just rode one horse - a strong Arabian (they have shorter, stronger
backs than other breeds, having fewer vertebra and ribs and stronger hind
quarters they can carry more weight behind the saddle).  Part of the reason that
I suggest that 331 mile part of the PCT is that I have an excellent contact who
lives in Seiad Valley. Her ranch borders the southern trailhead of the PCT.  She
is also very experienced packing with two horses and has several horses. She has
ridden all of the Sections that I have mentioned. Perhaps she or someone she
knows in that very small town might be willing to rent one or two horses to you.
As for resupply, you would need just four locations.  I cached at each by
leaving my horse with her and driving ahead. You could do that with your rental
car and then drive it back to Seiad Valley. You would have to arrange to pay
someone to pick you and the horses up at the northern end. You should definitely
get a SPOT to communicate your progress by satellite. Cell phones usually don't
work.

Realize that there was near record snowfall last winter. There will be lots of
downed trees and trail damage - slides, boulders, avalanches. You will have to
do a lot of research on current trail conditions just prior to starting to
determine if crews have been up to clear them for stock.

I am forwarding this correspondence to the Seiad Valley horse woman. She will
respond if she has time and might be willing to help you this summer.

MendoRider