[pct-l] Backpack Packing strategies...

Yoshihiro Murakami completewalker at gmail.com
Thu May 5 20:26:13 CDT 2011

Dear treerings

There are ergonomic experiments concerning load carriage: I found the
article( Abea et al. 2007, Applied Ergonomics) last year. Now, his
article is converted into PDF file and open to access.

Interesting points:

1. The energy cost of walking significantly decreased during walking
with load than without load at slower speeds. This means that the
energy cost does not increase as the load increase, contrary to the
expectation:

2. A significant decrease in the energy cost of walking was also
observed while carrying the load on the upper back than on the lower
back at 60-80 m/min. The load on the upper back is superior to the
lower back load.

You can read PDF file at http://bit.ly/jkAinW  . Please see Fig.2

Abstract
We examined the effects of load carriage position on the energy cost
of walking defined as the ratio of the 2-min steady-state oxygen
consumption to the speed and economical speed. Fourteen healthy men
walked on a treadmill at various speeds without and with load on the
lower and upper back, which corresponded to 15% of their body mass.
The energy cost of walking significantly decreased during walking with
load than without load at slower speeds. A significant decrease in the
energy cost of walking was also observed while carrying the load on
the upper back than on the lower back at 60-80 m/min. The economical
speed significantly decreased when carrying the load on the upper and
lower back, and it was significantly correlated with body height.
These findings suggest that an optimal carrying method is evident to
reduce physical stress during walking with loads.

--
Sincerely
Hiro    ( Yoshihiro Murakami  村上宣寛 )