[pct-l] Bikes on PCT

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Wed May 4 22:40:08 CDT 2011

Gary, I just read your post on bikes. It is disappointing to me that you have
that attitude and concept. You use the terms "we" and "us" implying that most
other hikers behave as you say you do. The vast majority of hikers that I know
do not build fires where it is prohibited - when fires are prohibited there is
good reason. When a trail has been closed - there is a good reason. When bear
canisters are required - there are good reasons. Yes, it might be "inconvenient"
to obey the laws/rules, but, as users of the PCT, we must. And it is also our
responsibility to set an example for those who are new to the PCT. What you
posted yesterday might well influence irresponsible behavior that will reflect
on the reputation of the PCT hiking community.

Regarding bikes on the PCT:  Mechanized transport is expressly prohibited by the
Wilderness Act of 1964 - wheeled vehicles are not permitted in Wilderness areas
or on the PCT. They are illegal - and for many good reasons.  Just one of them
is that wheels leave  linear tracks that water will follow, creating ruts.

MendoRider