[pct-l] Bikes on PCT

gwschenk at socal.rr.com gwschenk at socal.rr.com
Tue May 3 13:33:55 CDT 2011

It's hard for us as hikers to complain about bikes on the PCT when we ignore trail closures, build illegal fires and refuse to carry bear canisters when required. (This is not directed at James, but all of us hikers in general)

How can we make credible complaints to stop the encroachment of bikes and dirtbikes on the trail, when we ourselves are so quick to ignore the regulations we find inconvenient?

I'm guilty as well, having camped in places where I shouldn't have. I managed to rationalize that decision just like the mountain bikers rationalize their decision to ride the trail.

So it goes.

Gary