[pct-l] GPS Help,

Halfmile list at lon.net
Tue Mar 29 10:23:20 CDT 2011

Hi Paul,
I often use Expert GPS to do this, although I'm sure other software
can accomplish this too.
http://www.expertgps.com/

Expert GPS will "import" a .kmz file from Google Earth and save a .gpx
which you can use in Basecamp or just copy it into the /gpx folder on
your GPS.

I do this on non-PCT hikes of when researching alternate routes like
the Spitler Peak to Idyllwild alternate in Section B. Trace out the
alternate in Google Earth, load it into the GPS, and then go hike the
route, using the GPS to confirm where I am.

-Halfmile