[pct-l] SPOT messenger vs McMurdo PLB

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 20:10:10 CDT 2011

Well said everyone.  I'd probably use a GPS or a spot if I knew how to use
any of this new computer generated stuff.  I did well just figuring out how
to print Half Mile's maps.  Thank you so much.  As it was, I've always hiked
with topos and compass, and it did just fine last year on all that snow, and
desert mix ups.

You'll do just well with basic gear.  My first pack was an old WWII army
rucksack.  They were a dime a dozen in the 50's and that's what my scout
troop used, with canvas tents.  That was heavy and painfull, and yet we all
kept coming back.  The aluminum external frames of the 60's were such a
wonderful advance.  And a belly band, man we thought we'd died and gone to
Heaven.  I absolutely love my new ULA stuff, tennis shoes and all the UL
stuff I now have, but learned to love the mountains with gear that is much
less than what you'll get cheaply now.

Try for the best you can afford and then go out and have the summer of your
life!

Shroomer