[pct-l] SPOT messenger vs McMurdo PLB

Ben Crowell pctcrowell11 at lightandmatter.com
Sat Mar 26 22:53:34 CDT 2011

I own a McMurdo PLB. The thing is, the PLB is designed to be used
only in emergencies, whereas the SPOT is also used for entertainment
and to reassure your family. Anybody who owns a SPOT has presumably
used it many times and can describe that experience for you. Someone
who owns a PLB most likely has (happily!) never had to use it, so
they won't be able to tell you how well it operated.

Pros of the PLB:
- No yearly subscription cost.
- Reputed to be more reliable
 http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=25583&skip_to_post=291623#291623

Pros of the SPOT:
- Reassures your family.
- Provides entertainment.
- Can transmit longer than PLB before battery dies (but I'm not sure
  if this matters if you stay put, since SAR gets your initial location).