[pct-l] umbrella

Ken Marlow pcthiker at cox.net
Wed Mar 23 19:53:19 CDT 2011

Back in the '70's and 80's some people I hiked with used umbrellas for sun and rain back in external frame pack days. They had neat ways of rigging them to those packs. But I entirely forgot about it when I did a thru-hike in '82. I thought I'd try it on PCT / JMT in the Sierra. One year we had about 10 days of straight rain (conveniently let-up all but one of those days, when we arrived in camp, resuming mid-morning the next day).  Other hikers and equestrians were pretty dang envious and my wife was too, particularly in the hail. I used it in conjunction with a sil poncho. It was the most comfortable I've ever been in rain gear.

-Ken