[pct-l] Poison oak - Seiad Valley to Ashland

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 19 22:25:11 CDT 2011

Shroomer wrote:

I can't remember if you are NOBO or SOBO, but last year I hiked NOBO, and
down into Seiad Valley from the Marbles, and it was unavoidable.  The trail
was overgrown with it pretty badly in places, and even pushing it out of the
way with hiking sticks didn't stop me from getting it all over my ankles and
lower legs.  Had I known it would be this bad, I would have brought along a
tube or bottle of Tecnu, which is a cleanser specifically for poison oak,
and a bit of industrial strength skin barrier.

I hiked that stretch (both north and south of Seiad Valley) the last week of
August last year and didn't notice much poison oak at all, just an
occasional patch here and there and easily avoided.  Maybe someone had
brushed it out, or maybe I just can't identify the stuff as well as I think
I can.  I did get startled by a rattlesnake at about head height on the
uphill bank where the trail ran along the side of a ravine.  Too much
scanning for PO and not enough scanning for snakes, especially not snakes
level with my head.  Yikes!

Eric