[pct-l] Irony

Devon Taig devon.taig at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 12:36:28 CDT 2011

A couple things I've found to be somewhat ironic in the last few days
reading the PCT-L threads:

- Our fellow travelers from south of the border walk for miles in the
wilderness and on the PCT, crossing a border illegally looking for a new
experience (in their case a job that pays more than they can find back
home).  We PCT hikers walk for miles in the wilderness on the PCT  looking
for a new experience ourselves. We have open discussions about how we can
cross a northern border illegally without getting caught.

- Society associates gun ownership and "packing heat" with toughness and
fearlessness.  I (and most PCT hikers) won't be carrying a gun yet I feel no
fear of either animals or people (whether here legally or not) when I'm on
the trail.  By contrast, it seems that those who do choose to carry are
apparently feeling at least some degree of fear.

By being peaceful (which for me necessitates not carrying a gun), and being
mindful, you'll have a much more enjoyable wilderness experience. To turn a
phrase, "Tread lightly and don't sleep next to an open jar of peanut
butter".

River