[pct-l] GUNS: KEEP THEM AT HOME

Gerry Zamora gerry0625 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 11:49:50 CDT 2011

Keep guns at home locked with no ammo in a safe underground.  That way when
you need it you are ready.
Brilliant!
On Mar 19, 2011 9:28 AM, <mikepinkus at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I heartily concur. There is no need, or place for handguns on the trail.
>
> Cheers,
> Mike
> Sent on the TELUS Mobility network with BlackBerry

YOUR GUNS AT HOME. Please. HYOH does not apply here. "Packing a gun" will
undoubtedly make all of us LESS safe than if you carry one. The only people
who have ever asked me if I should bring a gun on the trail are people who
have never ventured past their property boundaries, boundaries which are
pasted over with thousands of DO NOT TRESPASS: PRIVATE PROPERTY signs.
People have the right to protect themselves, but bringing a gun is complete
overkill; I don't mean to lecture, but I have a serious concern for public
safety of all of the class of 2011 (my family included) if we have several
people packing handguns. The recent thread about "illegal" paranoia is also
cause for concern; why is it that only people who come from Mexico would be
a threat? Why couldn't there be a down-and-out local who knows people will
be on the trail that terrorizes all of us in our tents? This
fear/paranoia/craze is real
> ly ridiculous. I just feel that this thread has gone a tad too far.
Federal statistics show that privately owned guns at home are 43 times more
likely to kill a family member than they are to kill an intruder; I don't
like those stats when converted to the trail. I love the forum and its
diversity of opinions, however, this gun issue affects all of us, not just
the person carrying the gun. It only takes one accident. Bear spray and a
good knife should be and have been good enough for most of us. I hope
everyone is having fun getting ready for the hike, but please...LEAVE THE
GUNS AT HOME.