[pct-l] first night out

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Mar 18 10:22:22 CDT 2011

Good morning, Vicky,

Years ago I hiked into the Absoroka grizzly country from a trailhead west of
Cody, Wyoming.  Up the trail a ways I was overtaken by a string of wranglers
with pack horses and tourists for a week of camping.  With them were three
dogs which the packers said were “bear dogs”.

Since the dogs were small – classic ankle-biters in the 15-20 lb. range – I
looked skeptical but the packer said they didn’t want big, strong, brave
dogs that would rush out and get killed/maimed attacking a bear, they wanted
small, alert, loudmouth, chicken-dogs, to wake the camp during an intrusion
but not get themselves killed in the process.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09