[pct-l] first night out

John Abela pacificcresttrail2011 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 12:47:48 CDT 2011

I am with David on this one. There are folks here in CA who hike with
a gun - both open and concealed - but I have no intention of bringing
mine on the PCT. That said, if you are the type of person that always
has a CCW and you just cannot feel safe w/o it, than pack it along
with you. After all, hiking the PCT (for most of us) is --suppose-- to
be about having an experience of a life-time, and if you are out there
feeling unsafe, that just detracts from the purpose of being out
there.

As for California laws:

Loaded Open Carry is legal in your home, temporary residence or
campsite (unless otherwise prohibited), place of business, private
property, and in areas of unincorporated territory where shooting is
not prohibited, including most areas within National Forest and BLM
lands.

Unloaded Open Carry is legal anywhere except the following places:

California State Parks
"federal facilities" within the National Parks
US Post Offices and other federal buildings
any state or local public building or at any legislative meeting
required to be open to the public
“sterile areas” (areas where access is controlled by security
screening) of airports
areas restricted by local city or county ordinance, often including
regional parks

Also be aware that going into Canada with your CCW will further
complicate matters. (well, actually, getting back into the US) -
prepare for the 40-question drill, even with your CCW License in hand.

See this helpful page for more details:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457

I was on a trail last month with a buddy and two ladies came walking
down the trail in the other direction - my buddy was checking out the
ladies, I was checking out the gun on the one girls hip. lol

John