[pct-l] one person tent

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Mar 16 16:46:42 CDT 2011

I've used the Gossamer Gear One tent. In my opinion, it's the best
one-person tent. Others that are similar to it, such as the Sublite
or the Moment are probably equally as good. The shape of The One
makes it spacious and able to withstand weather and wind. I wasn't
trapped into only one little corner of the tent seeking headroom.
There's headroom in multiple positions inside the tent.

Gossamer Gear also made a spinnaker version of the Contrail. It had a
Gossamer Gear AND a Henry Shires logo on it. I borrowed one of these
for part of the trail, the rainy part. In my opinion, it was not
nearly as good a design as The One. It was lower with less headroom
(and I'm only 5'3") and the netting around the edges stuck out the
sides and if it rained, water collected in the netting and went right
inside the tent. I could not for the life of me figure out how to
prevent that from happening. With the very small amount of headroom,
it was a struggle to pack my things in the morning and not get
soaking wet.

I didn't have these issues with the superior design of The One.

I wouldn't dream of getting a tent that weighed 3 times as much as
one of these lighter tents.