[pct-l] Lost Coast

patti kulesz peprmintpati88 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 16 11:39:47 CDT 2011

like like like!

Sugar Moma

________________________________
From: Benjamin Grunbaum <bengrunbaum at gmail.com>
To: Kevin Cook <hikelite at gmail.com>; pct-l at backcountry.net
Sent: Wed, March 16, 2011 9:04:49 AM
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Lost Coast

Kevin
I live up on the north coast and have never once had anything progress to
the point that John has in relation to untrained dogs.  I have encountered
them but one way or another they have always went their own way.  I will
admit I use to work one on one with large cats (tigers, leopards, bobcats
and servals) at a sanctuary in southern California.  Anyways, if you were
thinking of moving up here it is a wonderful place in its own right with
both good and bad.  The good far outweigh the bad.  The area up here is
bountiful when it comes to outdoor activities.  Anyways, for what ever
reason John has the worst luck when it comes to irresponsible dog owners and
their untrained dogs.  I would take his experience lightly.  I do not know
anyone else who has had such luck.

Ben Grunbaum

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 11:09 PM, Kevin Cook <hikelite at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wow, I'm now grateful for the canine citizens in my "backyard". Maybe I
> don't want to move to norcal after my hike? lol
>
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 7:21 PM, John Abela <
> pacificcresttrail2011 at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
> > Hey Kevin,
> >
> > > I don't blame you for wanting to defend yourself against an aggressive
> > dog,
> > > but if they are still 8-12 feet away, are you really in any danger? I
> > can't
> > > help but wonder how you're interpreting that they are coming at you
> "with
> > > intent to harm"?
> >
> > 8-14 feet for a dog is one stride for most dogs on a run ;)
> >
> > > I'm not saying what you did was wrong, but I agree with Ron that having
> > > pepper spray a dog 3 times in 4 months is a lot, or you have the worst
> > luck
> > > ever!
> >
> > Yeah, totally agree. It's more what Ben said.... up here, remember
> > that Humboldt County is weed-capital-of-the-world, 99% of people who
> > have dogs have pits to protect their 'precious goods'.
> >
> > Middle of last year I had 4 pit bulls come right into our yard, one of
> > which got an entire 5 oz can of the hottest pepperspay that civis can
> > buy and it still kept coming. That one, sadly, depending on how you
> > look at it, did not make it out of my yard. The other three were put
> > down by the city.
> >

> > @Ron, I totally hear what you are saying. Up here, every day on the
> > trail, is like breaching a house - because literally, it does not
> > matter if you are in a house or out in the backwoods, pits, rots, and
> > Presa Canario are everywhere - about the only thing not up here are
> > Doberman Pinschers, for which I am very grateful - as they are the
> > only dog which I actually fear.
> >
> > John

To unsubcribe, or change options visit: